Resolved: Two Holidays in One

My New Year’s Resolution: put the Halloween pumpkins in the compost bin.

And I did it!

WINNING!

IMG_1887

You graced our porch for three months.

IMG_1888

We never even carved you, but it’s time to let go.

It's a New Year

It’s a New Year.

It’s a good thing we didn’t have a Christmas tree this year. Who knows how long that would have stuck around.

This post was a response to the Daily Prompt: Resolved. Have you ever made a New Year’s Resolution that you kept?

About these ads

One thought on “Resolved: Two Holidays in One

1. February 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Cool pumpkin!

2. January 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Ours are long gone–we get first frost right after halloween and it turns them from pumpkins to mushkins :>) But I do like doable resolutions!

3. TAE
    January 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Every bit of trash I “create” pains me to be honest…there seems to be hardly any escape from it. “Would you like your meat in plastic?” – “Why, no! Isn’t it wrapped in plastic twice already?”
    Seriously, it makes me want to have a farm…

• January 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Agreed!

I get so irritated with unnecessary packaging, especially on the “natural and organic” foods. Seems hypocritical. Makes me want to start a letter-writing campaign every time I come home from the grocery store ;p

Luckily, thanks to our City Council, not only do we have free curbside composting… but plastic bags have been banned at most retailers! Now, clerks have started to ask “Do you need a bag?” rather than “Paper or plastic?”

I love Portland.

• TAE
        January 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Yeah…I’d love that. I wish they’d make it mandatory for bags to be at least recyclable, or even biodegradable…

4. 1EarthUnited
    January 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Hey, that’s great u’r recycling! Hopefully it’s cold enough where you are, otherwise you’ll get pumpkin soup in the bin come spring LOL. Enjoy your winter. :D

• January 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Luckily, they’ll pick it up before it festers ;)

5. January 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I threw my pumpkins away as we were bringing in the Christmas tree. They were also not carved. Oh well!

• January 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I knew I liked you.

6. January 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Yay! You did it! You’re off to a brilliant start! Congratulations!

7. January 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

You have a very responsible outlook on the environment Kylie.

If you lived anywhere near Manhattan, right now, you’d see Christmas trees lying all over the sidewalk. They’re not composting. Posted below in an image that I used some years ago for my holiday card. It’s one of my all-time favorite cartoons from The New Yorker. I think it best captures both the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and the New York attitude about Christmas trees once the holidays are history:

• January 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Portland is pretty special. Our city only picks up trash every other week, but weekly composting is free–even kitchen scraps. It seriously pains me to visit a place where I have to throw away recyclables.
      I’ll check the link. Thanks for stopping by :)

8. January 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Did you paint that pumpkin? NICE! Mine are still on the front porch along with my favorite Halloween items that are appropriate ALL YEAR LONG ~

• January 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Oh no. I did not paint it. Somebody who works for the grocery store–or its supplier–did.

Thank you pumpkin painter person!