Starting Over: When Zombies Date

Single Zombie Female seeks Single Human Male for friendship, long walks, movies, and possibly more. Must have an open mind and a strong stomach. Necrophilia a plus. No smoking. For a picture, email me at Z_princess82@zmail.com.

“There,” she thought, as she hit the ‘submit’ button.  “That should do it. I am ready for a fresh start.”

She went to the mirror to check her make-up and prosthetics before taking a selfie. She’d gotten hair extensions and color earlier that day, and wanted to take a good picture before heading out for her nightly stroll around the neighborhood. She always came home so disheveled.

Drat, that gash in her left cheek was looking indented again. She’d have to fill it in with some silicone before taking her profile picture.

Fortunately, she had a few prosthetics already made-up from her trusty Dragon Skin FX-Pro make-up kit. By now, she was pro at filling in the missing pieces and spots of decay.

“God, it’s like being a teen-ager for the rest of my life,” she muttered to herself. “This eff-ing sucks.”

Ever since that awful night when they had attacked her and her friends outside the bar, she’d been traumatized by flash-backs. The grabbing. The biting. Every time she looked at her reflection, she couldn’t help but see her attackers in herself.

Whenever she got down, her therapist had told her to look out for what he called, ‘negative self-talk.’

“I’m doing it again. Okay, what’s my mantra…. Beauty is only skin-deep. I am the same wonderful woman. I am smart, kind, and worthy of love. Being a zombie doesn’t define the true ME.”

Feeling better, and with her face back in order, she practiced a coy grin, cocked out her hip, thrust out her breast, and snapped the picture.

She smiled at her reflection and said, “It’s never too late to start over.

One thought on “Starting Over: When Zombies Date

1. February 12, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Came here after seeing you post the link to this on Le Clown’s Carnies’ Corner. You’re good! I want to find out how this works out.

• February 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Thanks! I didn’t even consider making this a series, but you’ve given me an idea. Since this started out as a response to a Daily Prompt, all my daily prompt responses from here on out will be little pieces of zombie life.

• February 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Now that would be really cool! I’ll look forward to reading what you come up with.

• February 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Oh… the pressure ;)

• February 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I would put “LOL” but I didn’t. I chuckled instead! But it’s true. I look forward to reading whatever new posts I happen to find.

2. January 21, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Haha that was great! I never would have thought to write from that perspective – or to think that the wound-making kit would be used as a wound-hiding kit!

• January 21, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Thanks! It was fun to try writing in a new way.

3. Momo
    January 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

This was a great read! I think writing could very well be the next phase for you. I didn’t know your mom wrote stories!

• January 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Thanks! It was fun to write :)
      I read your post tonight in my email. I’m so glad for you…middle ground makes so much sense. I’d like to talk about that when we get together. Also, go to my top secret page and click the post link to request access to my new shadow site. Let me know if it works.

• January 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Also, I just checked my stats and I’m at exactly at 10000 views! You must have been #10,000! I’m buying you lunch.

• Momo
        January 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Awesome!

4. January 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I like that Necrophilia is a plus, but smoking is a deal breaker.

• January 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Even the undead want their potential partners to stick around a long time ;)

• January 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I liked that too. C.L. Dyck sent me over. That was a fun read, and for your first try, great job!

• January 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Thank you!

5. January 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I love this! Very, very creative, and I can definitely relate. If I were a zombie, I would definitely be seeking therapy over the whole disheveled, missing chunks of flesh thing. :-)

• January 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Thank you!
      It was a response to the Daily Post Challenge on “Starting Over” and they asked for fiction… so… here we are with my very first attempt ever at writing fiction. It was so much fun to write!
      Thanks for reading and commenting. I do appreciate it :)

• January 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Are you kidding me, Kylie. This is your first attempt at writing fiction? I was looking on your site for an ebook to buy. You must be a natural storyteller. Great post.

• January 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Ha!

Thanks :)
          I used to find short stories my mom had written on notebook paper. Must run in the family, and all this blogging is letting it out!

• January 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Keep writing fiction, Kylie. Seriously. You got mad skills, woman. haha. I was seriously going to buy your ebook.

• January 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I’ll have to write one just for you!

Thanks for the encouragement. It means so much. I’m in the midst of so much change, and starting to wonder if *writing* is going to be the next phase of life for me.

6. January 15, 2013 at 6:00 AM

My sentiments exactly!! I enjoyed this very much . .

• February 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM